Monday, August 17, 2009

Welcome to the weird

Long strings of white and red spool past on a black screen. The man squints intently, his face close to the monitor and his finger-spiked-fist poised for a quick strike hovering above the keyboard. He is a predator; a mongoose fastidiously examining the twists of a snake as it writhes, patiently timing the attack. I pass before the offensive commences.

These people observe my migration many times daily on various time-consuming tasks: the bathroom, the prototype press, the infrared water/ice dispensing robot. They appear secure, totally cemented in purpose. I am but the breeze, a variable that is inevitable and expected, calculated as an algorithm into their sphere of existence.

I pass a man painting the wall with a roller on a twelve foot handle. His role is unambiguous. Just a glance will tell you he is working, the quality of his craftsmanship, the speed at which he progresses. I scurry through during an upswing, past the handle intermittently barricading the hall.

I carry a clipboard, to assuage the doubts of superiors. My pen has been destroyed by the physical manifestations of energy without direction. I look at my watch.

Continued... surely.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

The life of a contract employee... Did it myself for 7 long months. I counted the minutes every day. At least it is giving you good writing material.