Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fermentation fascination

As my wife returns to nursing school, spending time attending the sterilization of so many microorganisms, I return to solitude. My thoughts turn to tiny colonies of coconspirators, perhaps induced by the Hunter Green scrubs that the love of my life casts to the floor with such nonchalance. So I began a new experiment in fermentation which recently came to an end.

Currently Tegan is brewing a batch of ginger champagne, and at this late hour it is my only companion, slurring burbled excretions... the prayers of yeast colonies conversing with their blogging gods.

I started some radish sprouts today, and attended my shelling pea plants in the garden. I also aborted some sauerkraut that was curing on a shelf in the living room for the last few weeks. Apparently, I am not much good at measuring, and an overabundance of salt rendered the pressed shreds of cabbage inedible. A shame, really. I had grand plans.... a few slices of homemade Russian rye bread, a grilled slab of marinated tempeh, some swiss cheese and 'kraut. I'll just have to stick with the Tempeh Rubin sandwiches from Cornucopia restaurant (or Park Street Cafe, if I can make it there during their insanely limited hours).

***sigh***

No comments: