Sunday, March 1, 2009

evaluation

Today is the birthday of Theodor Geisel. I just found out.

Several years ago, a dear friend of ours bought me a book for my birthday. (This happened before my current embargo on owning books which was spawned by our close proximity to the library. No need to buy and store when you can borrow.) It was a floppy yet strangely thick paperback entitled Dr. Seuss Goes to War. And in it, I found a new angle on an old favorite, a childish yet mature editorial on the state of affairs.

And so, instead of pondering my passing years by periodically planing the perturbing protuberances from my proboscis and cursing the curly hairs encroaching my chest and shoulders, I think about silliness. Nonsense, and how it changes the world as we know it, requires appreciation of a wider projection.

I appreciate the ridiculous, the zany, the slaphappy... My writing is punctuated by goofy alliteration in homage to my childhood favorites. I dance daily. I revel in the ridiculous rain.

No comments: